Thank you again for agreeing to answer some questions. I hope this e-mail finds you well. I told you that I would ask you 10 questions or less but I must confess that this interview goes to 11. There was just so much to talk about.
1) When you began Dead Harvest, did you know then that it would become a series of novels?
2) How much of yourself do you see in Sam Thornton?
4) You write with a confident voice that I assume comes from years of practice. How long have you been writing and how long did it take you to get your first publication, either short story or novel?
5) Your short fiction is among the best and, at times, reminds me of Stephen King. Do you prefer writing novels or shorter works and how does the two processes feel different to you as a writer?
6) You included a wonderful essay in The Wrong Goodbye called "Why The Hell?" What was your reason for writing this essay?
There are two reasons: one banal, and one less so. The banal reason is, my publisher likes to include bonus content in their books, and my first choice -- an excerpt from THE BIG REAP -- wasn't an option, because I hadn't written it yet. The less banal reason -- which answers the question of why that essay specifically -- is, loads of fans and reviewers reacted as though Biblical noir was the weirdest combination ever, when to me the connection was obvious. The essay was my chance to make my case.
7) Do you think you will ever dabble in other genres?
That depends. What genre(s) do you consider the Collector books to be?
8) What have you read recently?
9) As a reader, do you prefer standalone fiction or series fiction?
10) At Craig's Book-ends, I try to call attention to the wonderful communities of writers, readers, and publishers that exist and the notion that we should support and champion one another. How strongly have you felt the community of writers, readers and publishers in your own career and what would you like to see different in the community? Do you think it could be stronger?
11) What's next for Chris F. Holm? Do you ever see yourself returning to the world of THE COLLECTOR?
Thank you again for taking the time to chat with me. Take care.